Rights and responsibilities
Orientation happens for all new students in the week before classes start each semester. You will be given plenty of information to give you the best possible start. It’s the perfect opportunity to become familiar with the campus facilities and learn about student support services. There are also social events to help you make friends and have some fun.
It’s important to take extra care of your personal belongings, particularly in the canteen, library and computer labs. Laptops, mobile phones, wallets, USBs, multi-purpose student cards, etc. should not be left unattended. The replacement fee for the multi-purpose student card is S$10.00.
Please report your lost property to Student Central. If you come across items someone may have left behind, please hand them in to Student Central or to the Security Guard after office hours.
It’s your responsibility to attend all lectures and tutorials. Please bring a copy of your timetable to all classes, especially in the first few weeks of semester to ensure you’re in the right lectures and tutorials.
Failure to attend the correct lectures and tutorials will result in your attendance not being recorded for that week.
You’re expected to arrive on time for classes and remain throughout for each lesson. Attendance will not be recorded if you are more than 15 minutes late for class.
You are required to maintain a minimum 75 per cent attendance for each enrolled unit. If you fail to obtain the minimum attendance requirement, you won’t be eligible to sit for the final examination regardless of previous work submitted.
International students (Student’s Pass holders)
In order to fulfil Immigration & Checkpoints Authority of Singapore (ICA) attendance requirements, please note the following:
- You must be present on campus for a minimum of three hours each day between Monday and Friday
- If your academic classes are scheduled for less than three hours each day, you are required to participate in enrichment programs on campus
- If you have no academic classes scheduled on any day of the week, you are required to participate in the enrichment programs for three hours
- Attendance for scheduled enrichment programs is compulsory and monitored
- If you fail to maintain 90 per cent attendance without a valid reason in any month of the course, we will inform the ICA and it may lead to the cancellation of your Student’s Pass
If you’re absent from class due to valid reasons, such as medical conditions, you’re required to obtain a medical certificate for that day and complete an Absence Justification Form. Only an original medical certificate issued by a Singapore registered medical practitioner is deemed as valid. You must submit it to Student Central along with an Absence Justification form within seven days.
We reserve the right at our sole discretion to reject absence reasons that are invalid or non-justifiable.