Diploma of English for Academic Purposes
The Diploma of English for Academic Purposes provides direct entry to pathway, undergraduate and postgraduate programs at Curtin Singapore. Students are taught at Curtin Singapore Campus and have full access to campus facilities.
The Diploma consists of four 13-week units: one General English unit and three Academic English units.
The General English course prepares students wishing to improve their all-round English language with real-world English skills that they can use anywhere; as well as prepare students for the Academic English units.
Study skills developed include:
You will focus on the basic elements involved in English communication, i.e. the macro skills (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) and the language systems (vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation). You will also be prepared to progress on to the Academic English units.
You will be assessed on a continuous basis through a combination of progress tests, speaking and writing tasks and participation. You must pass with an overall grade of 60 per cent.
Speaking tests: 20%
Writing tests: 20%
Reading tests: 20%
Listening tests: 20%
Language awareness tests: 20%
The Academic English courses provide direct entry to pathway, undergraduate and postgraduate programs at Curtin Singapore.
Study skills developed include:
- Academic study and assessment skills – You will be taught critical thinking, research techniques, exam skills and how to avoid plagiarism.
- Academic writing, reading, speaking, and listening skills – You will learn how to plan and write Australian-style academic texts such as research reports and essays. You will be taught how to read for context and expand your vocabulary, and also learn how to plan and deliver an academic seminar with appropriate grammar and vocabulary. You will also learn how to take notes in lectures and summarise the meaning.
You will be assessed through a combination of examinations and assignments including, writing, reading, speaking and listening. You will also be assessed on work you do outside of class as homework throughout the 13 weeks. You must obtain at least a 55 per cent pass result in each assessment for Academic English 1 and Academic English 2 with a final overall score of 60 per cent. While for Academic English 3, you must obtain at least a 50 per cent pass result in reach assessment. Overall score required to progress from Academic English 3 depends on Curtin University or Curtin College program the student is joining. Diploma of Arts and Creative Industries program requires 50 per cent overall, Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Information Technology require 60 per cent overall, and Bachelor of Communications and post-graduate courses require 65 per cent.
|GENERAL ENGLISH 2||ACADEMIC ENGLISH 1||ACADEMIC ENGLISH 2||ACADEMIC ENGLISH 3|
|- IELTS (academic) 4.0|
- TOEFL iBT N/A
- PTE Academic N/A
|- Minimum GPA 60% from General English 2|
- IELTS (academic) 4.5 overall, writing 4.5, other bands 4.0
- TOEFL iBT 32 overall, writing 12
|- Minimum GPA 60% from General English 3|
- IELTS (academic) 5.0 overall, writing 5.0, other bands 4.5
- TOEFL iBT 35 overall, writing 14
|- Minimum GPA of 60% from Academic English 2
- IELTS (academic) 5.5 overall, writing 5.5, other bands 5.0
- TOEFL iBT 46 overall, writing 18
Maximum 19 students.
There are 15 contact hours. Students are also required to do 5 hours of MyStudy (self-access via Moodle) per week. Classes are held from Monday to Friday with three different study schedules.
|Program||Fee before 8% GST||Fee including 8% GST|
|Diploma of English for Academic Purposes||S$3,800 per unit||S$4,104 per unit|
|Number of units||Fee before 8% GST||Fee including 8% GST|
Fees listed are indicative and subject to annual increases.