Diploma of English for Academic Purposes
The Diploma of English for Academic Purposes provides direct entry to pathway, undergraduate and postgraduate programs at Curtin Singapore. Students are taught at Curtin Singapore Campus and have full access to campus facilities.
The Diploma consists of four 10-week units: two General English modules and two Academic English units.
The General English courses prepare students wishing to improve their all-round English language with real-world English skills that they can use anywhere; as well as prepare students for the Academic English units.
Study skills developed include:
You will focus on the basic elements involved in English communication, i.e. the macro skills (reading, writing, speaking, and listening) and the language systems (vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation). You will also be prepared to progress on to the Academic English units.
You will be assessed on a continuous basis through a combination of progress tests, speaking and writing tasks and participation. You must pass with an overall grade of 60 per cent.
Progress tests: 60%
The Academic English courses provide direct entry to pathway, undergraduate and postgraduate programs at Curtin Singapore. Students are taught at Curtin Singapore Campus and have full access to campus facilities.
Study skills developed include:
- Academic study and assessment skills – You will be taught critical thinking, research techniques, exam skills and how to avoid plagiarism.
- Academic writing, reading, speaking, and listening skills – You will learn how to plan and write Australian-style academic texts such as research reports and essays. You will be taught how to read for context and expand your vocabulary, and also learn how to plan and deliver an academic seminar with appropriate grammar and vocabulary. You will also learn how to take notes in lectures and summarise the meaning.
You will be assessed through a combination of examinations, a research report, a research essay, a seminar presentation and/or a case study. You must obtain at least a 50 per cent pass result in each assessment. Only one assessment task may be resubmitted, and the maximum score for resubmitted tasks is 50 per cent.
|GENERAL ENGLISH 2||GENERAL ENGLISH 3||ACADEMIC ENGLISH 2||ACADEMIC ENGLISH 3|
|- Minimum GPA 60% from General English 1|
- IELTS (academic) 3.5 overall
- TOEFL iBT 42
|- Minimum GPA 60% from General English 2|
- IELTS (academic) 4.5 overall, writing 4.5, other bands 4.0
- TOEFL iBT 53, writing minimum 11
|- Minimum GPA 60% from General English 3|
- IELTS (academic) 5.0 overall, writing 5.0, other bands 4.5
- TOEFL iBT 61, writing minimum 13
|- A GPA of 50% or above from Academic English 2
- IELTS (academic) 5.5 overall, writing 5.5, other bands 5.0
- TOEFL iBT 71, writing minimum 15
Maximum 19 students.
There are 20 contact hours and 4 hours of MyStudy (supervised self-study) per week. Classes are held from Monday to Friday with two different study schedules.
|Study period||Orientation week||Start date|
|DE1805||10 October 2018||15 October 2018|
|DE1806*||7 November 2018||12 November 2018|
|DE1901||2 January 2019||7 January 2019|
|DE1902||20 March 2019||25 March 2019|
|DE1903||6 June 2019||10 June 2019|
|DE1904||14 August 2019||19 August 2019|
|DE1905||30 October 2019||4 November 2019|
*For students studying 10 weeks only.
|Diploma of English for Academic Purposes||S$3,450 per unit|
|Administration fee (International students)||S$500|
|Administration fee (Local students)||S$150|
|Fee Protection Scheme insurance**||Course dependent|
All fees are inclusive of 7% GST. Fees listed are indicative and subject to annual increases.
*Medical insurance will cover students warded in a hospital or requiring surgical procedures. The policy will reimburse on hospital charges and only covers treatments in Singapore restructured hospitals and B2 class wards. Local students may opt out of the medical insurance if they can provide proof of adequate medical insurance coverage. Payment is applicable per course and during Student Contract renewal or extension.
** The Fee protection scheme (FPS) aims to protect students’ paid fees in accordance with a master insurance policy, standard student contract and the Curtin Singapore refund policy.